Monday, February 1, 2010

Otavalo, Ecuador

Hello Friends and Family

We made it from Santiago to Quito, Ecuador since my last posting and I'll note a stark contrast between the two cities/countries...everything is much cheaper in Ecuador but also more dangerous. Before I discuss Quito, I'd like to talk about our excursion to the rural city of Otavalo, an indigenous community (mainly of Kichwa descent) about two hours northeast of Quito.

We especially wanted to go there to attend the market that takes place every Saturday. We rode in an old but comfortable bus over numerous mountains through the Andes and arrived on Friday afternoon. We arose early the next day so that we could visit the sale of livestock that starts at 6:00am...what an experience!



The locals show up with all sorts of animals for sale/exchange including sheep, hogs, ducks, guinea pigs, cows and chickens...unbelievable but very cool. Growing up in rural San Joaquin Valley, I went to many livestock auctions with my father but this gathering of people and livestock was as unique as anything I have ever seen.

In addition to the livestock there was every kind of item imaginable at the market, beautiful woven blankets, bags, tapestries, silver work, leather goods, beads, paintings, spices and an incredible array of food...whole pigs being cooked and carved away for consumption. I fell in love with the attire worn by the native women that included multiple strands of beads and beautifully embroidered blouses. This place and the people that live here touched a nerve in my soul and I would love to come back sometime in June for the annual Intiraymi Festival of the Sun in Otavalo.











No comments:

Post a Comment